Wednesday, July 18, 2012

PHP Pattern Principles

Although design patterns simply describe solutions to problems, they tend to emphasize solutions that promote reusability and flexibility. To achieve this, they manifest some key object-oriented design principles.

This article will cover

  • Composition: How to use object aggregation to achieve greater flexibility than you could with inheritance alone
  • Decoupling: How to reduce dependency between elements in a system
  • The power of the interface: Patterns and polymorphism

The Pattern Revelation

I first started working in an object-oriented context using the Java language. As you might expect, it took a while before some concepts clicked. When it did happen, though, it happened very fast, almost with the force of revelation. The elegance of inheritance and encapsulation bowled me over. I could sense that this was a different way of defining and building systems. I “got” polymorphism, working with a type and switching implementations at runtime.

All the books on my desk at the time focused on language features and the very many APIs available to the Java programmer. Beyond a brief definition of polymorphism, there was little attempt to examine design strategies.

Language features alone do not engender object-oriented design. Although my projects fulfilled their functional requirements, the kind of design that inheritance, encapsulation, and polymorphism had seemed to offer continued to elude me.

My inheritance hierarchies grew wider and deeper as I attempted to build new classes for every eventuality. The structure of my systems made it hard to convey messages from one tier to another without giving intermediate classes too much awareness of their surroundings, binding them into the application and making them unusable in new contexts.

It wasn’t until I discovered Design Patterns, otherwise known as the Gang of Four book, that I realized I had missed an entire design dimension. By that time I had already discovered some of the core patterns for myself, but others contributed to a new way of thinking.

I discovered that I had over privileged inheritance in my designs, trying to build too much functionality into my classes. But where else can functionality go in an object-oriented system?
I found the answer in composition. Software components can be defined at runtime by combining objects in flexible relationships. The Gang of Four boiled this down into a principle: “favor composition over inheritance.” The patterns described ways in which objects could be combined at runtime to achieve a level of flexibility impossible in an inheritance tree alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment